The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is currently considering applicants for the position of Librarian. ; assists in providing instruction and reference service and engaging users through outreach activities; assists in the collection development of library resources; and supervises the work of the Library Assistant, interns, and volunteers.
Performs descriptive cataloging of library resources in the Library & Archives.
- Performs original and copy cataloging and physical processing of library resources, including books, dissertations, periodicals, sound and video recordings, music scores, and electronic resources.
- Performs subject analysis and classification.
- Remains current on national standards for descriptive cataloging practices and revisions in cataloging rule interpretations for music materials.
- Documents and maintains the policies and procedures manual for cataloging in the Library & Archives.
- Works with vendors to procure cataloging tools and resources; orders supplies needed for physical processing of library resources.
- Works with the Rock Hall’s technology team and archivists to determine technology needs for the Library & Archives and to ensure the institution’s adherence to current metadata standards.
- Provides instruction and reference service to Rock Hall staff and visitors.
- Along with all Library & Archives staff, works regularly scheduled shifts at the Information Desk and provides reference service to Rock Hall staff and visitors.
- Works with the Director of Archives and the Senior Director of Library & Archives to provide instruction sessions about Library & Archives resources and services to Rock Hall staff, teachers, and students.
- Provides orientations and tours to classes and other visitors as needed.
- Compiles usage statistics for library materials as needed.
- Engages Library & Archives users through outreach activities.
- Works with the Senior Director of Library & Archives to develop and produce public events at the Library & Archives.
- Collaborates with the Rock Hall’s marketing and communications teams to engage users about library resources via the Rock Hall’s website and social media platforms.
- Works with the Director of Archives to create and update research guides and online tutorials on the Rock Hall website.
- Monitors the Library & Archives section of the Rock Hall website to ensure online content is up to date.
- Assists in outreach to educators, students, media, and other organizations to increase awareness of Library & Archives collections.
- Works with the Senior Director of Library & Archives to develop the library collections of the Library & Archives.
- Assists the Senior Director of Library & Archives in the evaluation and selection of library resources, including books, dissertations, periodicals, sound and video recordings, music scores, and electronic resources.
- Works with vendors to acquire, renew, and cancel print subscriptions and electronic resources as needed.
- Weeds and deaccessions library resources as needed.
- Supervises the work of the Library Assistant, and supervises interns and volunteers as needed.
- Represents the Library & Archives within and outside the institution.
- Represents the Library & Archives to Rock Hall staff, including participation in interdepartmental meetings and committees.
- May represent the Rock Hall to the academic and library communities at local and/or national professional meetings.
- Interacts with vendors and donors as needed.
- Duties include but may not be limited to the above.
JOB REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Master's degree from an ALA-accredited program in library and/or information science is required; undergraduate and/or advanced degree in music or other relevant discipline is strongly preferred.
2. Experience in Field:
- Two or more years of experience performing original and copy cataloging of library resources in an academic, research, or special library.
- Experience cataloging using RDA, AACR2, Library of Congress-Program for Cooperative Cataloging Policy Statements (LC-PCC PS), Library of Congress Classification (LCC), Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH), Library of Congress Genre-Form Terms (LCGFT), and MARC formats.
- Experience using an integrated library system, III’s Sierra preferred.
- Experience using a shared bibliographic utility, OCLC's Connexion preferred.
- Experience cataloging music-related materials strongly preferred.
- Experience in the creation of controlled headings per RDA and NACO guidelines preferred.
- Experience providing library reference service and/or instruction in an academic, research, or special library.
- Experience creating online library research guides preferred.
- Experience with collection development in a music library preferred.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
3. Unique Expertise/Certification/Registrations:
- Knowledge of the history of rock and roll and related popular music genres.
- Knowledge of music literature, reference sources, and research tools.
- Expertise in best practices in cataloging library resources.
- Knowledge of RDA, AACR2, LC-PCC PS, LCC, LCSH, LCGFT, and MARC formats.
- Familiarity with in-development data structuring methods, including FRBR, BIBFRAME, and the use of linked data.
- Participation in professional organizations and continuing education preferred.
- Computer literate in standard office management software, including Microsoft Office applications.
- Outstanding team orientation, flexibility, and ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, organizational skills, and interpersonal skills.
- Detail oriented with ability to organize and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Ability to work independently without close oversight, and also a team player who will engage productively with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside the Museum.
- A professional and resourceful style; willingness to take initiative, manage multiple tasks and projects at a time; and willingness to learn.
- Thinks of the big-picture and considers the impact of decisions across the institution as a whole.
- Understands implicitly how to work with different people and various working styles across the organization.
- Sets a strong example for others by initiating collaboration and working consistently in a collegial manner.
- Encourages teamwork, and anticipates and removes obstacles to effective teamwork; seeks to resolve conflicts as they arise.
- Approaches others in a positive manner and builds solid long-term relationships with key stakeholders inside and outside the organization.
- Ability to successfully pass a Rock & Roll Hall of Fame reference check, background investigation and drug screening.
- Ability to get along with other people and regularly communicate status of assignments.
For consideration, submit resume and cover letter detailing your qualifications along with salary history online at http://rockhall.com/careers.