JOB DESCRIPTION: HEAD LIBRARIAN (Exempt, Grade M)
REPORTS TO: Director of Learning and Engagement
SUPERVISES: Technical Services Librarian, Archivist, Public Service Librarian
SPECIFICATIONS: ALA-accredited Master's degree in Library Science, three to five years administrative experience in an academic or museum library, and extensive knowledge of art history and art literature required. Master's degree in art history and working knowledge of two European languages preferred. Position requires awareness of administrative practices in special libraries, especially acquisitions, financial management, and library systems.
JOB PURPOSE: To direct the staff and operations of the Richardson Memorial Library at the Saint Louis Art Museum; to administer Library activities in the areas of reference, circulation control, collection development, acquisitions, collection maintenance, and organization of materials; to manage the Library budget; and to create planning procedures for long-term policy development.
DUTIES, WORK PERFORMED:
- Establishes goals and objectives for the Library which further the mission of the Museum and the Division of Learning and Engagement.
- Directs all Library reference services to Museum staff members and public patrons. Schedules and monitors the reference desk. Provides instruction to staff and volunteers in the use of library research materials.
- Guides all Library technical services activities. Plans for future growth of the collection and approves materials for acquisition. Monitors staff activity in the organization of materials, including archival records, digital images, periodicals, books, and auction catalogues. Oversees collection maintenance activities, including preservation, shelving, digitization, de-accessioning, and offsite storage of materials. Develops the Library record-keeping procedures.
- Prepares and manages the Library's budget, tracking expenditures and reporting variances.
- Supervises, trains, and evaluates Library staff and volunteers.
- Plans for technological changes, as necessary for efficient access to library materials and information about art.
- Establishes effective communication with the Museum's administration through written reports and regular meetings.
- Represents the Library as the institutional liaison with library consortia.
- Collaborates with Membership, Development, and Curatorial departments as well as other Leaming & Engagement departments on the planning of projects and programs.
- Participates in the Museum's cross-functional strategic and core function teams as appropriate.
- Promotes a positive image of the Library to the public, donors, volunteers, and other library professionals.
- Maintains an awareness of trends and developments in the fields of art and art historical scholarship and publishing, and mentors library staff on their impact on the profession.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
The above statements of this job description describe the general duties and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. They do not claim to describe all of the functions of this position. Employees may be assigned other duties and the essential functions may change or be changed from time to time. (06/17)